Top 5 Best Weight Distribution Hitch – Review and Top Picks
A weight distribution hitch is a must-have for anyone pulling a heavy trailer. It evenly distributes the load to allow for a smooth ride. There are various features that the models in the market offer. Most features are standard but there are some systems that come with a few extras. When shopping around for one, these are the things to look out for.
- Equalizing the load: The load should be equalized between the trailer so that it reduces or eliminates the up and down movement. Most systems will have bars that allow for the distribution of the load of the trailer tongue between the axles of the vehicle and the trailer.
- Sway control: It helps in keeping the trailer from moving from side to side. When driving over long distances you may encounter strong winds and passing cars, especially heavy vehicles. These can cause your trailer to sway from side to side. The sway control function works to eliminate this movement.
- Capacity: These systems come in various capacities for the tongue load as well as the gross trailer rating. The weights will be corresponding. For example, a 1400 lbs tongue load will have a 14,000 lbs gross trailer rating. You will then choose the one that fits your class of vehicle.
- The weight of the system: Some of these kits can be very heavy. While some may be less than 60 lbs, others may well be over 100 lbs. this is something to consider especially if you are buying one that you will need to take off frequently and haul into your storage.
- Greasing requirements: Most of the hitches will require regular greasing. This means that after each trip you will have to grease them. This can be quite messy work. However there are some which do not require greasing and you can opt for them if this is something that you would like to avoid.
- Ease of installation: Check whether the model that you are going for has installation instructions and what previous customers are saying about it. Also find out whether you will need to get additional parts in order for it to function optimally.
When looking for the Best Weight Distribution Hitch, it helps to take a look at the choices that are available for use. I recomend here is Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit ! 🙂
I. What Is Weight Distribution?
In case that you want to tow a trailer with a standard mounted hitch, your trailer’s weight will be transferred to the rear axle of your vehicle. Therefore, the result may lead to raised front end and forced lower one.
In case that happens, your rear axle will bear both vehicle’s weight and trailer’s weight. If you have less weight on your front axle, that could interfere with traction, steering and stopping power.
That is the main reason why you should use weight distributing bars so that you can come together and improve the hitch system. By adding spring bars, you will apply the leverage on both sides so that you can transfer the load with both axles. Therefore, you will get an even distribution of weight, and that will provide you the possibility to increase the capacity of your hitch.
II. Top 5 Best Weight Distribution Hitch
Thus there are many alternative brands of weight distribution hitches in the market to choose from. Keep in mind your requirements in terms of the capacity you want, the load distribution, the sway control, the load of the system, ease of installation and other preferences. Also check out the customer reviews on the products before your purchase. You will be sure to get a good fit for your trailer.
III. When Is Weight Distribution Needed?
You will need weight distribution in the case that:
- Your rear of vehicle will sage after you hook up the trailer
- Your trailer weighs more than 50% of entire vehicle weight
- Your trailer sways with heavy burden
- It is difficult to stop your rig or to steer with lots of weight
- In case that you want to tow something more substantial than usual
You should have in mind that you should register your trailer hitch with particular weight distribution. Therefore, you should check weight rating label so that you can make sure that capacity is relevant.
IV. Why You Need Weight Distribution Hitch?
Trailer hitch is the indispensable part of your vehicle especially if you have lots of things to move on a daily basis. Sometimes, the heavy burden could interfere with your driving, and therefore, you should choose weight distribution system that will allow you to enjoy your driving and to reduce the possibility of any problem.
VI. How Do I Choose A Best Weight Distribution Hitch?
The first thing that you should have in mind is that there are numerous types of weight distribution systems that you can purchase on the market. At the same time, all of them have different features and capabilities.
Before you decide which feature is the one that you need, you have to determine the size of the system which will work best on your vehicle. The primary factor in finding the relevant system is capable.
There are two different weight ratings for weight distribution hitch:
- Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) – This particular weight distribution refers to the weight of fully loaded trailer in towing condition. You don’t have to worry because we measure it by placing the fully loaded trailer on the scale. At the same time rating of weight distribution must exceed or match GTW.
- Tongue Weight – This particular weight rating refers to tongue weight on your trailer with extra cargo which is in your vehicle. You should have in mind that most people measure TW by using tongue weight scale, which is between 10 and 15 percent of GTW. At the same time, the cargo can be estimated with a commercial scare. First, you step without load, then with a full load.
Tongue Weight equals trailer tongue weight and vehicle cargo load which is behind the rear axle. That way you will get the entire result of this particular weight.
It is also essential to have in mind that TW rating is a crucial factor when it comes to weight distribution system. Therefore, if the bars are too high, you will not create a safe ride but a rigid one. Have in mind that it can result in the bouncing trailer and even worse.
In case that you haven’t rated the bars high enough, the system will not be able to distribute the weight properly, which will interfere with its features and make it useless.
Imagine that you have a trailer that contains TW of 700 lbs. At the same time, your vehicle includes 100 pounds. Of cargo in the trunk. Therefore, the overall weight is 800 pounds in the entire car. When you choose weight distribution system with 1500 pounds, TW could lead to problematic performance because you have rated it too high.
In case that you choose the weight distribution system which is lower such as 500 lbs. You won’t get the same effects that will ensure the performance and weight distribution.
If you want to choose a system based on TW, you should filter everything through YTW (Your Tongue Weight). That way we recommend you to select the weight which is closest to your cargo’s by looking the formula that we have presented you above.
You should ensure that you use all TW that is possible with the hatch, and that is the main reason why you should synchronize the level of your cargo with maximum TW. Therefore, you will get the most efficiency out of your weight distribution system.
VII. Rear mount trailer hitches: how to select and guide to buy
1. What Is Rear Mount Trailer Hitches?
Rear Mount Trailer Hitches are the best way to secure your weight that you are driving from point A to point B. Finally, it doesn’t matter what you turn, because rear mount trailer hitches are the perfect solution for your truck, car, SUV or van because you will be able to install it with ease and enjoy in its design.
They have a multi-fit design that will provide you fantastic combination of versatility and compatibility. Therefore, you can quickly put it in Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Nissan and many more.
They are a great alternative to custom hitches, but still, you will be able to get them for a budget-friendly price. When you compare flexibility in installation and affordability, you can finally rest assured that everything will be much simpler than before. The multi-fit feature contains a sliding frame that will allow you to adjust hitch so that it can synchronize with your vehicle.
In most cases, people use them for more critical and medium-size vehicles, SUVs, and pickup trucks. You don’t have to worry because you can efficiently use it for both minivans and vans. You will get mounting hardware and manual and instruction so that you can install everything with ease.
2. How to Select a Trailer Hitch?
The first thing that you have to do before you decide to select a new trailer hitch is to gather all info about your application and trailer hitch. Therefore you have to find all papers about your vehicle such as model year, make a model and maximum towing capacity. In case that you cannot see the information of towing capacity, check the owner’s manual.
Next step is to find everything that you need in a trailer such as a trailer type, tongue weight, gross trailer weight, and coupler socket size. It is essential to have everything in mind because you will make your shopping piece of cake.
There are two most important factors when it comes to selecting the trailer hitch:
- Tongue Weight
- Gross Trailer Weight
We recommend you to determine first GTW and TW of the fully loaded trailer before you decide to choose trailer hitch. You should also check which weight your vehicle can accept and drive without any additional problem. So you should calculate the overall weight of your car with the trailer so that you can determine the final weight amount that you can carry.
We have mentioned above that Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) is the weight of the fully loaded trailer. Therefore, you have to understand the weight of your trailer, which you can measure on a vehicle scale. There are probably some weight stations in your neighborhood where you can find all information that you need.
On the other hand, the Tongue Weight (TW) is the downward force that trailer exerts onto trailer hitch and hitch ball. Therefore, you should know that suspension is responsible for carrying weight. Thus, overall TW should be between 10 and 15 percent of total weight.
You can easily measure TW on the bathroom scale. You just have to make sure that size is propped enough and that you weigh in standard height.
The best way to weigh the trailer so that you can determine TW is to set length of pipe on each and add a beam on pipes. That way you will be able to re-zero the scale so that you can catch correct weight of both pipe and beam.
First, you have to find the trailer hitch type so that you can decide which one is the best for you.
3. Rear Mount Trailer Hitches Quick Comparison
Class 1 Trailer Hitches
Class 2 Trailer Hitches
Class 3 Trailer Hitches
Recevier Size: 1 1/4"
Weight Carrying: Up to 2,000 Ibs
Tongue Weight: Up to 200 Ibs
Weight Distribution: --
Weight Distribution TW: --
Recevier Size: 1 1/4"
Weight Carrying: Up to 3,500 Ibs
Tongue Weight: Up to 350 Ibs
Weight Distribution: --
Weight Distribution TW: --
Recevier Size: 2"
Weight Carrying: Up to 8,000 Ibs
Tongue Weight: Up to 800 Ibs
Weight Distribution: 12,000 Ibs
Weight Distribution TW: 1,200
Class 4 Trailer Hitches
Class 5 XD Hitches
Class 5 CD Hitches
Recevier Size: 2"
Weight Carrying: Up to 10,000 Ibs
Tongue Weight: Up to 1000 Ibs
Weight Distribution: 12,000
Weight Distribution TW: 1,200
Recevier Size: 2"
Weight Carrying: Up to 17,000 Ibs
Tongue Weight: Up to 2,550 Ibs
Weight Distribution: 17,000
Weight Distribution TW: 2,550
Recevier Size: 2 1/2"
Weight Carrying: Up to 20,000 Ibs
Tongue Weight: Up to 2,700 Ibs
Weight Distribution: 20,000
Weight Distribution TW: 2,700
4. What Types Of Rear Mount Trailer Hitches Are Available?
You have to understand that most Rear Mount Trailer Hitches are specially made for different kinds of vehicles. Therefore, each one is unique to fit some models and cars. Thus, they are mostly divided into five classes.
- Class 1 – When it comes to class1, we have to mention that people designed them for small crossovers and passenger cars. They have one ¼ x 1 ¼ receiver tube opening that contains fixed tongue. That way you will be able to mount a trailer directly without any additional hassle. You should also have in mind that they can tow up to 2000 lbs.
- Class 2 – Even though they are similar to the Class 1 because they have 1¼ x 1¼ receiver tube opening. They are also perfect for lightweight applications. The main difference is weight capability because Class 2 can tow up to 3500 pounds which is much more than Class 1. However, you should have in mind that this is the maximal weight and that each model varies.
- Class 3 – This particular class is one of the most popular and standard hitches that we install on full-size SUVs and pickup trucks. In case that you have a full-size truck and you have towing prep package, that means that you have Class 3 hitch. You will get 2-inches x 2-inches receiver tube opening. The best thing about it is that you can carry up to 8000 lbs. Per
- Class 4 – If you have a full-size SUV or pickup truck, this is the second most common hitch available on the market. You will get the similar dimensions and Class 3, which is 2-inches x 2-inches receiver tube opening. On the other hand, you will get increased towing capabilities that can reach up to 10000 lbs. Some latest hitches can tow up to 12000 in the same class.
- Class 5–If you need the trailer hitch with the most significant weight ratings and most exceptional features, you should take this particular one. Imagine the possibility of two 20000 lbs. Now it is possible. Developers build them to handle large loads, which will add the weight so that you can increase towing capacity.
5. What Are The Benefits Of Rear Mount Trailer Hitches?
- Perfect for Towing Company – If you have a small business and towing company, you should have in mind that rear mount trailer hitches are the most expandable item in your work. Therefore, you should find the ones that will provide you perfection and everything that you have always wanted.
- Possibility to Move Larger Goods – It doesn’t matter what you have in a Finally, you don’t have to worry about moving and whether you will collide along the way. Therefore, you should find the rear mount trailer hatch so that you can finally rest assured and enjoy your traveling.
- More Security – The most critical factor when it comes to trailer hitches is the security features. Most of them have to pass the endurance test so that they can determine the threshold and capacity. We recommend you to read the manual and this article before you decide to purchase them because it is essential to synchronize your vehicle capabilities with a trailer
6. How to Use Rear Mount Trailer Hitches?
Everything depends on the class that you want to purchase and then the capacity of the cargo. You should have in mind that in the package with mount trailer hitch you will get the user manual. In there, you will find all relevant answers to questions that you had or will have.
Therefore, we recommend you to stay within its capabilities and to understand how to install them. Most of them contain simple installation features that you can do within a few minutes. It doesn’t matter what is the purpose when you have the possibility in your truck.
Do You Know?